Hi, my little dog Iggy had an operation on Tuesday to repair torn cruciate ligaments and luxating patellas in both his hind legs. He's still in the hospital. It's now Thursday, and the hospital staff has yet to get him to stand up for even a second on all fours.
Although I hate to, I'm thinking of leaving him at the hospital for one more night. He seems so fragile, and is so small, I'm afraid of hurting him when I lift him or more importantly, when setting him down.
I've been trying to think of a way to make some sort of sling like they have for horses so he can stand, but without putting any real weight on his hind legs.
Anyone please, please send me ideas.
Also, if your dog had this surgery and was slow to stand up, please advise how long it took before he or she would stand up.
What is your vet saying about your dog? Maybe there's a reason they're not wanting him to stand yet, but the best way to find out is to ask the vet. He will give you a painkiller for the little dog; so that he can walk. Usually it's hard to keep dogs quiet after patella surgery; so I dare say the ligament surgery may be giving him more pain.
The hospital staff has been trying to get him to stand. He just won't. Iggy's doctor, who is off today. originally told me Iggy would'nt be released until they could get him up on his legs. Well he's not standing, and the hospital is ready to release him, sans his doctor's approval.
I'm thinking of leaving Iggy at the hospital for one more night so that his own surgeon can see him tomorrow morning before Iggy is released and before the weekend. Maybe I'm worrying too much. I don't know how much heat, redness or swelling is ok or when it crosses the line into needing attention right away.
I'm worried about Iggy not standing. I'm worried about redness, swelling, and heat in one of the incisions, of which there was some yesterday when I went to visit him. I'm worried about bringing him home today and a problem arising this evening, and yet, I think Iggy would rather be home, and that it could be a good thing for him emotionally. I just don't know. I've never had to deal with anything like this in dogs or humans so I'm more than a bit scared at my ability to handle any situation that may arise, calmly and effectively. Last thing I want is for Iggy to realise what a fraidy cat I am. I'm sure he would sense it too, and become more worried. He's looking up to me as the leader, and what he needs is a confident leader which at the moment, I am not.
I'm just the person who loves him the most, and hates to see him suffering.
If you have concerns, and the surgeon said he shouldn't go home until he can stand, I would insist they keep him. Have the surgeon check him out before you take him home. I would err on the side of caution. My dog had the same surgery, but just on one leg at a time. Especially since you have a little guy, I would be just as worried as you are. If the Doctor said he should stay, I would be questioning why the staff is disobeying his orders?! Good Luck! Keep us posted.
I totally agree with you leaving your dog there until the surgeon can assess him. The surgeon will definitely know if he can come home, and perhaps he has a slight infection, that combined with the pain may be the reason for his hesitation to stand. Don't worry, if he has an infection the surgeon will order an antibiotic, and that will fix him up. I would ask who is on duty on the weekend, is there someone there all the time, or just someone coming in to feed and water, and check on the dogs. If that is the case, I would ask to bring him home for the week end, after the surgeon assesses his incisions. Don't worry, this is quite a procedure for a little wee dog, and I think he just needs some time. Let us know what the surgeon said, and a smooch for the little guy.
Keep in mind the amount of surgery the dog has had, thats alot of pain, so give the poor thing some more time. I am thinking that when the little guy comes home you will need to use cold compresses, and soft massage to the muscles, to improve blood flow and healing. I work in a hospital, so if we have a dog that we would like to have walk, I get a bed sheet for eg, twist it around a few times and feed it under his belly and gently lift up his abdomen, this way the dog can slightly walk, but not with all his body weight on the legs.Several short romps a day to releive himself and stretch out the legs. Your probly looking at a few weeks or rehabilitation.
When I look up into the sky, I think to myself, Wheres the ceiling?
I appreciate all your responses. I should've known better, but let my significant other and one of the hospital vets talk me into thinking Iggy would be better off at home. So home he is. I must say, Iggy seems glad to be at home, but he's cried out in pain six or seven times either trying to adjust himself or us picking him up or setting him down. I'm a nervous wreck because of it, and of course he's refusing to use his back legs at all. He's been home less than 8 hours.
Just this very moment, he moved himself on the sofa by walking on his front legs only. I'm sitting here with him so don't worry he could fall off. I'm hypervigilent.
I was reading about your dog..I hope he is feeling better!! I just posted my own Question!! Regarding a leg issue ..but Mine is a little more intense..they want to amputate my little "pug" jenny's back left leg!! and i am really beside myself!! Glad to here you dog is better.
How is your little dog moving now? Are you able to lift his rear, as Sue suggested (works very well)? Unfortunately he will be in pain, but even some tiny moves, with encouragement and help will be good for him. I suggest that you wait about 20 minutes after you give him his pain medication, and move him then. Of course praise, and treats will help, if he's like most dogs and motivated by food.