My 10 1/2 mth old Weimaraner ate a whole bottle (28) of antioxidant tablets yesterday while we were at a Thanksgiving lunch. We did not even realize this until this morning when we found the chewed up bottle. She seems perfectly fine, other than now knowing why she was a little high strung last night and couldnt really sleep, and I'm wondering whether I should take her to a vet. I immediately rung my husband on finding the bottle and he said not to worry as they're probably like vitamins and she now wont get sick this winter... but I am worried!! Should I be?? Her stool is orange and runny, and I'm going to feed her chicken and rice to hopefully cleanse her for the next week or so. Can anyone suggest any other help? I really cant afford the vet right now as times are very tough for us. Can I do anything without spending huge $$$ ?
Can you just give the vet a call and tell them what happened and see what they have to say? Here is a animal poison control center number I have had on my board for years - 1-888-426-4435. I have never had to use it so I do not know if it is still good. If not maybe you can look up another online. Vitamin overdoses can be dangerous too.
I will try and call that # .... thank you very much!! I have been worried sick and have watched her 24-7 since just in case. I am now having another problem whereby she is now not going #2 as frequently as she used to (use to go twice a day, now lucky at one) so that is worrying me. The only prob is that its the holidays and at the vet, like night time shifts, it cost double. Baaad timing. Anyways, will continue watching her. Tried adding 1/2 can of pure pumpkin to her meal tonight and although she loved it (licking lips) we'll have to wait and see.... I hate seeing her in any pain, if she is, and I dont want any liver probs or ulcers - our little princess.
You could have called the emergency vet on the phone when you realized it and they would have told you about any dangers with that drug. Problem now is, the toxins would already be absorbed and even though it did not kill her, it could have damaged organs which may not show symptoms right away.
ANY accidental ingestion needs IMMEDIATE medical attention. People would know to do this with their children, it is no different for your pets.
I hope she is ok. You can't worry about cost when you have a pet. The norm is to know your financial state before commiting, as pets can be almost as expensive to raise as children!! Especially taking into consideration accidents such as this. Believe me, there will be other incidents that will occur that will involve unexpected trips to your vet.
That being said, you should also know ( if you don't already) that Weimaraner's are VERY smart!!!! If they see you taking a treat out & notice where you store it, they will go to that location & do everything they can to get more of those treats ( as an example). So be certain to keep things that can be of harm to her VERY out of reach & in secure cabinets or drawers.
Thank you. Vet was there, but absent, and didnt even subscribe her anything. Looked at her, said she was 'lucky', and let her go. Charged me over $200 for 15 mins. Half of which he wasnt even paying attention. No prescription. Im worried about my baby.........
Theres really nothing they can prescribe. They generally give them charcoal to make them vomit the toxins out of their body before they can be absorbed and cause damage. If someone does not seek medical attention immediately, like in this case, then the drugs are already absorbed into the sytem and nothing can be done but to watch and wait for any organ damage.
ALWAYS seek immediate attention for acidental ingestion of pills...always...not hours later, not days later, but right then!
You are lucky that no permanent damage seems to have been done.
Still, I find it ridiculous that she was charged $200....You need to find a more reasonable vet. Sometimes when you ask your vet, they will lessen the cost. They are aware times are hard right now but unless you ask them, they will not lower it. Mine did.
What, specifically, was the $200 for? Obviously, he must have done some tests. I'm sure your vet doesn't charge $200 for an office visit or 15 minutes of his time.
And no matter the case, I would much rather spend $200 to find out nothing is wrong, than not to take the dog to the vet and have something happen. If it had been me, I would have taken my dog to the vet immediately-no questions asked.