My 47 pound dog got into a tube of hydrocortisone (1%) about 1/3 of the medicine left in 1 oz tube. Called ER vet who said call poison control at SPCA. Called SPCA poison control and after 10 minutes of elevator music (seriously, NO ONE is picking up the phone at the number I called!) I decided to try here.
Should I be worried? Bella seems okay but it's at most only been an hour. Gave some very burned toast (as recommended by one friend for the charcoal effect), and she seems fine, eating the rest of her food now, no vomitting, diarhia, etc.
I can see two potential problems, since it was an ointment there will be additives to it, not meant for ingestion by human or dog. Secondly, at under 50 pounds the amount consumed might cause liver and/or pancriatic problems.
Try calling the emergency vet and get their input. If you have no emegency vet, I'd go with listenting to the canned music.
Good luck & I hope there are no lasting ill effects
"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant". author unknown
It's too late now, but you can give a dog 1/4 -1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Works like a charm, and usually always in the home. Use a syringe or in an emergency, a turkey baster to get it down the throat.