I rescued a 12 week old retriever mix from the animal shelter and brought her home from the vet (after being spayed) on Tues, 3 days ago. The vet told me that he put her on painkillers (which seemed odd to me for such a young puppy) and not to worry if she didn't have much of an appetite.
He tested for worms, but failed to tell me that this test does not detect tapeworms, and now she has them. I'm not sure when she could have gotten them, maybe while she was at the shelter, but she has not had an appetite since I brought her home. In 3 days, she has probably eaten 1/2 cup of food. I have tried so hard to get her to eat and the only thing I can get her to stomach is a little bit of peanut butter.
The doctor has put her on two medications, Metronidazole (250 mg) and Lixotinic (2 ml per day). My question is, at what point does a puppy need to be put on an IV for nutrients? The vet says it't normal for her not to want to eat on this medication, but it's been THREE DAYS. She also has to eat to poop the tapeworms out. I am very worried about this little girl, and I hope I am not being given the run-around by the vet either. (I was charged for another $50 general physical exam that was given to her 2 days ago.) Help!! Thanks!
Not eating 3 days post surgery is not normal and may be indicative of a much more serious problem than refusing foods because of the medication she is on. You mentioned the vet putting her on pain killers but the drugs you mentioned are not pain killers. Metronidazole is an intestinal antibiotic that is most commonly used as an anti-diarrheal. I had never heard of the lixotinic so I looked it up and it is just a liquid vitamin supplement. That definitely shouldn't be causing her lack of appetite. The Metronidazole could be because it can cause stomach upset though I have not experienced that as a side effect in the past. Neither of those two things rid the puppy of tapeworms so I am unclear as to why your vet put her on them.
My suggestion would be to discontinue the Metronidazole for a day and see if she will start eating. Maybe offer her some canned dog food, boiled chicken or hamburger meat and see if she will eat that.
If not, I would seriously consider taking her to a different vet for a 2nd opinion. Since it has been 3 days already, I would probably do that first instead of waiting.