My doxie Argyle has had identifiable back problems since June 2011. He was treated medically with Tramadol and Remadyl, plus steroids once. After a lot of medication and rest, he seemed to be getting better for a while. Sometime in late August, I noticed he was losing strength in his back legs. I took him to the vet again and we started with medications a second time. After a course of steroids, he improved a bit, but then was completely paralyzed in the blink of an eye. He trotted outside to pee and came back upstairs in my arms. Anyway, that was on Sept 10. When I took him in the next day he still had good deep pain response, was holding his urine (but not peeing), and seemed to only poop when outside. It is now the 20th (4 days away until I can pay for surgery) and he has no deep pain response at all, no bladder control, no control of his bowels (some rectal tone), cannot wag his tail, and actually doesn't seem to be in pain anymore. If I had the money to get him surgery sooner I would have, but as things would have it, that won't happen til Saturday. I can't help but wonder if too much time has passed for surgery to be a wise choice. Any success stories out there with doxies that had to wait a few weeks for surgical remedy?
The only person who can tell you whether it is too late for the surgery is the vet. Hopefully you are taking him to a board certified orthopedic/neurologist for the surgery. I would not recommend having a general practice vet do it.