I have an 11 year old female Lhasa Apso that has been bitten by a brown recluse spider. The vets have removed a lot a dead tissue already and said it hasn't spread to the muscle yet, but it looks like the tissue damage is spreading.
My dog only weighs 14 lbs; I am really concerned about her. She is on antibiotics and pain pills.
I would like to hear from anyone who has had the same experience and would like to hear about treatment of their dog and the results.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
Sorry to hear about your dog. The bite from a brown recluse causes tissue necrosis. How large an area probably depends on how much venom was injected. It's painful for a long time, it will spread to a point and then start to heal. How far it spreads depends on how serious of a condition you have. It can be minor or it can be a very large area that can have a hard time healing. Hopefully, it wont go to the extreme and she will be ok.
Thanks to all of you for your help; I appreciate it so much!! My little girl is going back to the vet tomorrow, so we'll see what she says.
Yesterday I came across a brown recluse emergency kit on the net, with of course some amazing testimonials. I did order it and it should be here tomorrow. This product is mixed into a paste and applied and supposed to draw the venom out.
We've got nothing to loose by trying it Anyway...if any of you have used this product please let me know. After I use it, I will let this forum know the results.
I have seen a few spider bites in the past 3 months. It takes a long time for them to clear up. It gets a lot worse before it gets better. The only thing you can do is keep the area as clean as possible. Keep the dog on pain meds and the antibiotics. It will all sluff off and takes weeks to months for the skin to granulate back in. Just keep the dog as comfortalbe as possible and it wil get better.
My brother was bit by one about a month ago. as first we though it was a pimple and I kept making fun of him then it got so Big it looked like he had a boob on his side so I made fun of him more but kept begging him to go to the dr. 2 weeks went by and he passed out from the pain finaly he went to the er. They said they had never seen anything like it Instead of rotting in and out it was only rotting in a filling up with pus. they cleaned it draned it and hes fine now.
I wouldnt worry to much it should be ok as long as she stays on her meds. If it starts to look icky agin bring her back to the vet
Not with my dog but our chem teacher almost had to have his leg removed. the hospital was almost on an alert for them last year cuz they were having so many people come in. One of the guys from the prison actually died. I was shocked to learn a spider bite could really do that!
I'd just keep a real close eye on your dog and frequent vet visits. Anything to improve circulation would probally be great to.