My friends 2 yr old cat got out last week, and ended up at our local shelter, which btw is a really bad place, more thanhalf the animals at that place are sick. But anyway we picked him up and brought him back home, where a few days later we found out he was sick. Not only does he have an upper respotory infection he also has, panleukopenia. My friend had him at the hospital, but he had a friend that worked at a different hospital so he took Turbo there, they gave him an iv of saline solution and 2 different antibotics, and told him to take him home and away from other cats. They showed him how to do everything and said Turbo would either make a turn for the better or be dead in 3 to 5 days. But after spending a night taking care of his baby, he isn't sure it's fair to keep letting Turbo suffer. Turbo is having a hard time breathing, there is mucus all over his nose, he nned the saline solution to stay hydrated and he won't eat. At one point Turbo did jump in bed with my friend, which I didn't think he had the energy to do at all. When my friend started crying Turbo tried to climb up on his chest, to be closer to him. He isnt sure what he should do. And I'm at a lose. He doesn't thik hehas it in him to put him to sleep, he think he would be giving up on Turbo and killing him. We have all tried to tell him he isn't giving up on him, that he would not suffer any longer, because I don't see a change in him, the poor thing keeps trying to run away and hide. Can someone please offer some advice? My friend loves his cat, and is very upset, and says he can't make the choice, he feels like he would be giving up on his baby.
By the mucus and trouble breathing, sounds like he has a upper respiratory issue, which is treatable. If you weren't feeling well don't you like quite? You'd hide too. No need to make the poor cat stay in an awful place like that, sick and scared when he's got an owner and home that are supposed to be responsible for him.
Not a hard decision. Go get his cat and take it to the vet.
I will reread this to make sure I didn't miss anything..
panleukopenia is also known as feline distemper, and is easily prevented by vaccinating cats.... was your friend's cat not properly vaccinated? If it had been it should not have contracted the disease, even if exposed to it.
Keeping the cat hydrated is the most important part, so it may require a return trip to the veterinarian for IV flluids, especially since he wont eat.
There's no true 'cure' or 'treatment' for feline distemper other tahn care and comfort. It's good that the cat is seeking comfort, as from what I've read, pets that 'looose the will to live' are more likely to die.
I went over to my friends house soon after I posted this, because he called me, he was really worried. As soon as I go there I told him to take Turbo into the vet, he was really bad off, he had blood coming out of his mouth and was having an even harder time breathing than last night. I went back home but he called me again to come to the vet, and Turbo died at 11:30 this morning. He was suffering way to much so we decided to put him down. My friend is having him cremated. Some of you might remember Turbo from when he was a baby, I had him and my Bear in pics together. Unfortunately we didn't know he was when we got him home and now my animals are all sick, not that badly because they all have thier shots but they all have the upper resportory infection and have been on antibotics for 3 days now. But now I need help, is there a way to make them want to eat, 2 of my cats don't want to eat. And I need to know what is the best way to clean my house after all of this, is there anything better than bleach? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Starlight_2901/60498728.jpg Turbo is the tan and white one
I know recently when my cat was very ill (hepatic lipidosis) the vet said to give her anything she wanted.
For several days Lucy wouldn't eat at all and we did need to syringe feed her. She was also back and forth to the vets for tests and fluids. When she first got sick it was not a very good situation. The vet said if we didn't get food in her she would die. She had severe jaundice and her liver enzymes were VERY HIGH.
Now about a month later Lucy is doing fantastic! She is no longer jaundice and at her last vet visit her liver was doing much better. We do need to take her back in soon for another blood test. She is also eating as much as we give her!
I know it is a different illness but cats can recover quite well if the owner is willing to try.
Talk to your vet about what you should feed your cat or if anything will do. We were first given science diet a/d (yuck!) but later when Lucy was eating other foods the vet said that was fine.
As far as cleaning I would ask the vet about that as well. They need to keep their offices clean therefore should be able to recommend a safe and effective cleaning product.