I might on occasion give them a teaspoon of vanilla. Usually I will just freeze a bit of plain low fat yogurt since they don't know the difference.
You do need to be careful because icecream has quite a bit of fat and a lot of sugar not to mention milk which may cause stomach upset.
They do have a product called "frosty paws" which is in a small container like individual icecream cups. These are for dogs and can be found in the freezer section at the store. Ours is by the popsicles not by the icecream at the store.
My dogs love the occasional treat of "frosty paws"...Actually on Katie's first birthday a few weeks ago, both dogs got a tiny piece of unfrosted cake and a scoop of frosty paws. Gotta have cake and ice cream on your birthday :)
I give my dogs ice cream quite a bit. We usually drive through and get a small dish of vanilla to share when we're out and about. So they probably get some once or twice a week when we go to the park and on special occasions like birthdays.
when ever I eat icecream and I have some still left in the bowl I give it to my little chihuahua and she has never had a stumach ache or hurshy squarts or anything of that sort. my daddy also says that every dog that he's ever known or had has had icecream. I personaly wouldn't give it to them on a regulare basis. but it don't hurt them any.
My gang also love ice cream but remember chocolate is bad and SO IS COFFEE! Coffee ice cream can be dangerous. -- A call to the emergency vet one night confimed it so best to avoid coffee and chocolate ice cream.
yes. unfortunately scout has the same addlction to chocolate as i do, but as far as the amount of chocolate that is actually in chocolate ice cream, its not enough to make any of my dogs sick, or really any dogs.
the genral rule of thumb for chocolate is it takes 1 oz of milk chocolate per pound of body weight to make a dog sick. even less then that if it is baking chocolate which has a higher concentration of chocolate in it, to become lethal. i am pretty sure there is no where near that much chocolate in ice cream, or the occasional chocolate cookie or piece of cake that dogs will get into. not saying anyone should go out and feed their dogs any of that but if they should happen to get into some i doubt it would give them anything more then a tummy ache and many dogs dont even get that.