Anyone have any advice on what to do about a 1 year old female lab who eats rocks. In the past 4 months, our outside lab has eaten two rocks which have had to be removed surgically from her intestines. At around $1600.00 for each surgery, this is not something we can continue to do. Making her an inside dog is not an option for several reasons. We removed all the landscaping rocks after the first episode around our house. It is not possible to remove every single rock on the part of our property that the dogs roam (2 plus acres). Help!!!
I don't think there is a way to stop dogs from eating rocks - you need to make sure that he can't get to them. I agree that fencing in an area and keeping it rock free is the best idea for the times when he is outside unsupervised. For walks etc when you can't control the the rocks I would you a basket style muzzle so he can't eat them. Do not leave the muzzle on when you aren't supervising him.
Good luck - that surgery is very $$ and it's much better for both the dog and your wallet not to have to go through it again.