We have a 4 1/2 year old bitch, gave birth naturally to a female approx. 8 1/4 oz on Tuesday morning. After 4 hours of nothing we took her to the Vet who delivered two more pups by C-section later that day. This is Friday, Jun 4, last night one of the little boys died after being delivered extremely small and with difficult breathing. Now Ariel (the bitch) refuses to eat or drink anything. She seems healthy otherwise, wags her tail (her tail is very long), very responsive to commands, will go out and do her business with no problems, just won't eat anything. Have tried the Purina One dry puppy she was on just after her conception, the Purina One canned she ate for the last 6-8 weeks of her pregnancy, dry with water mixed for gravy, mixed with canned, mixed with a small amount of shredded cheese (which she normally loves), a little bit of boiled egg with both foods, with no results. She just doesn't seem to want to eat anything, not even any kind of treats. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Have you checked the dam for any fever, redness of the breasts, foul discharge? You need to do a good assessment of her health, and any potential issues, or Perhaps a trip to the vet would help. It is best to treat problems in new mothers without delay or you could end up with sick or dead puppies.
a trip to vet is certainly needed. But also to answer your question, B vitamins increase appetite, also get some Nutrical and Karo syrup Nutrical is awesome squirt into her mouth same with the Karo syrup if her blood sugar gets too low her appetite will only be suppressed more so give both every few hours, a good squirt directly into mouth. Also try chicken broth over food which will help to increse her fluid intake. I hope these help. You can nutrical at just about any pet store or tractor supply or the generic version as well. Another thing I have use is CHICKEN BABY food, and warming it increases the smell and interest.
It is not uncommon for the females to not eat the first day or two after whelping...not the norm, but certainly happens.
You need to try anything to get her to get her appetite back. Boil some chicken with garlic sprinkled in the water. hard boiled eggs...or raw if she will eat it. Cook up chicken livers or beef liver with some garlic. After the 2 day mark you run risk of her drying up is she doesnt begin eating something.
A trip to the vet is in order as well. Check her temp, any drainage and color she may have, etc. Nutri -cal, Nutri-stat...both should be available from your vet and will help get some nutrients in her.
Keep us posted.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
Thanks for all the info, we did have a Vet appt, but her health checked out good before the appt. Everything was tried and checked. She seemed happy, healthy, no temp, socialable, no other issues of any kind. It wseems that she may have been experiencing a bad case of acid indigestion. Tried a quarter of a Tums a couple of times and now she's eating like a horse. No more eating problems. I do however have a question, I have read on other Boston sites that they can be given a Pepsid-AC, but is this true and can it be used while nursing. It seems I had stomach acid issues after several diffeent stays in the hospital and I'm thinking this may be the case with Ariel. Any info? Thanks.