symptoms of what? Indigestion? He'll probably be fine, dogs get into junk all the time. Call your vet if youre concerned, but I personally dont' stress if my dogs get into something weird as long as it's food. Keep an eye on the dog, make sure it has plenty of water, watch for desperate need to go outside because of the runs. Watch for signs of blood in the poop, but honestly I doubt you'll see more than some hyperactivity and a case of the poops.
should be fine, especially after he threw up. give him a bland diet for today (steamed rice and some boneless chicken) that should settle his stomach down. he may have a little diarrhea from what he ate, but other than that he should be fine. if you are really worried, call your vet and get his opinion if you should bring him in or not.
hi Frosty...my brothers dog ate one of the kids entire chocolate easter bunny a few years back...he found a half eatting bunny in one of the kids playhouse...i remember him calling the poison control, and they told him chocolate can kill a dog, depending on his weight/size of the dog, and how much he comsumed...he was told to immediately give the dog some milk, i guess what the milk does is it makes them vomit it all up, or poop it all out fast...he was fine other then ricochetting off the walls all day...LOL ....thats a mistake they never let happen again
Is the chocolate on a protein bar actually chocolate? I thought it was fake chocolate, if it doesn't have cocoa in it it's not chocolate (which is why white chocolate isn't chocolate, but let's not go there). Anyway, a dog would have to eat about 5% of it's body weight in pure unsweetened/semisweet chocolate to be in danger from the thoe.. thomobromide? Darnit, I can't rmemeber what the dangerous to dogs chemical in chocolate is. Something like that.
I found this website on dogs eating chocolate. It says it would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10lb dog. So it takes alot. Don't ever feed your dog chocolate but if it accidentally gets a little it'll probably be ok unless it's baking chocolate. Here is the link. http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog. Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level. Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog. Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.
I've heard that onions can be bad for dogs also, but I don't think a half an onion ring is dangerous. You'd be surprised what dogs will eat if their outside rummaging. Today our puppy found a dead mole and was trying to eat that---they keep us running!! Just keep an eye on the dog---you'll know which behavior is normal and what is not.
my golden mix once ate an entire large bag of nestle choc. chips. when i woke up there was brown vomit everywhere and he was very hyper/anxious. i believe it is the baking chocolate that is the most dangerous because the chocolate is more concentrated. milk chocolate it takes alot more of to be a problem. my cat eats onions all the time. she really likes the onions in the chinese fried rice. i was told that cooked onions are ok. it is the raw onions that pose the problem how's your doggie today?