Chili Pepper, as some of you know, is my little chihuahua. Well she has not even hit the 3 pound mark yet and even though I will never breed her, I really don't want to get her spayed because of her size. I have heard that dogs of extremely small sizes have been accidentally euthanized by veterinarian's overdosing them with the anastesia (sp) shot. What if the vet overdoses or she just doesn't do well in the surgery? She is very small. Should I do it? Thanks. Heart CP
I would have a complete CBC blood workup done on her.
Then I would have her heart auscultated by a Board Certified Veterinary Cardiologist to make sure there are no heart issues. (about 60 bucks if you make an office visit, but I had it done at a dog show for 25)
Once you have these tests done, if everything is normal, speak to your vet, as Minniyar recommended about using inhalent anesthesia ONLY.
This is called "bagging a dog down" in tech speak. It may cost a bit more, but if your bitch checks out with the above tests, I would go head with the spaying. Leaving her intact long term can have more dire consequences than spaying her.
Another thing to consider is taking her to a high profile vet clinic where there are specialists, and where they have the most advanced monitoring systems to use during surgery.
Good luck, I know that is a hard decision when you have such a tiny one.
chilli, my mother once told me to always follow your firstmind.if you don't you might regret it later, i didn't know she was that small. if she not having any problems then why get her spray. gee! she just too small other members might disgree with me but thats ok too i wouldn' my opinion. she cute as a button. i would love to have one just like her.lol..lol..
Personally I wouldn't with one so little, however, the anesthesia inhalant you want to use is servoflourane, it's realitivly new in veterinary practice, but at the surgery center I also work at(when I'm not on the bus!) we use this on peds patients, it is a safer inhalant...Peds are pediatrics...sorry... She is a cutie!
Hmm...my first reply didn't go through...The anesthesia inhalant you need to request is servoflorane(sic??) it is what is used in pediatric surgery instead of isoflorane(my spelling is out of whack today.sorry) I know some vet clinics are using it on puppies and small dogs as it is a safer inhalant. Chili is a cutie and unless the heat cycles are too much for you, I might be inclined to not do it. Red's right...get the tests done for her protection.