Even after trying to keep my male and female apart, my shorty got to my sassy about 2 to 3 weeks after she came into heat. Now, she is pregnant and is only 9 months old and about 4 to 5 pounds. Will she be able to carry and have these puppies safely? I am very worried mom!!!!
Have you ever whelped puppies? If so, you know what to look for if she has trouble. You might want to be prepared to bottle feed the pups. She may not produce enough milk. My vet told me one reason not to breed on the first heat is that it helps to stretch the mammory glands so they can produce enough milk. Keep your vets phone number handy. Then again, she may do ok. That is the chance you take breeding dogs, especially small ones.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. If your female is only 4-5 lbs, she is TINY. I hope the male is as small as she is, because if he's bigger (or a lot of dogs in his pedigree are larger) then chance of her having problems whelping are going to increase exponentially. Be in contact with your vet, have ultrasounds done before she delivers to determine the size and number of puppies she's going to have, and most importantly have extra cash on hadn to the tune of $1000 in case she has to have an emergency c-section because one of the puppies is too big to pass.
Never trust a tall dwarf... he's lying about something.
I have been reading posts on this site for several weeks and finally decided to join so I could respond to this post. I have no idea why I am just now seeing it since I have been to this site several times since 12/30.
I have two minpins that I love with all my heart. I have done a great deal of research into the breed in addition to being cyber-friends with several reputable breeders. Yes, a 4 or 5 lb 9-month-old female is at great risk, particularly as Minnyar stated if the male is much larger or if both come from lines that throw large pups. Since you are asking a question like this on a general pet forum I can't imagine you have done any health testing, researched pedigrees of your dogs, etc. If it is fairly early into her pregnancy (no more than 4 weeks but preferably less) the best option for your female is to do an abort/spay. Harsh, yes, but she is at great risk and you could easily lose her. At the very least, get to know your vet REALLY well (contact him right away and explain the situation, when she was bred, etc.) and be prepared for her to need a C-section. If she does have a C-section, have her spayed at the same time.
Situations like this break my heart. YOU need to be willing to put her welfare above any thoughts you may have had of breeding her in the future. It is pretty clear you have a LOT to learn before doing any "planned" breeding.