My Boston bandit is having seizures. He is 13 years old and blind. But hes been this way for years. He live a really happy life. He get around fine. Having said that he had a seizure about a week ago, i called the vet right away. We did blood work and it came back normal, she says this is very normal, most times they have no idea what causes them . Well friday night around 10:00 he had another one much worse we bought him right to the vet, she gave him valium to calm him down, after some time it did work. well again last night he had one and the vet gave me some valium and i gave it to him at the start of the seizure and i can tell it did help shorten the length of the seizure. Here is my problem, I do not want him to suffer, He has had a great life, i love him with all my heart. She said we can try phenobarbital but once we start it , its a forever thing and even on the drug he can still get them . The part that is making this so hard is that he is acting so normal all the time , still eating , drinking, playing and running around like always. The other option is to wait it out and see or put him down so he doesn't suffer. I'm willing to do what ever i can for him as long as hes happy and still enjoying life. Has anyone ever been here or any thoughts on this would help. I love my little boy and what to do whats best for him. Thanks
***Edited By: shermansmom on 12/7/2008 12:47:37 PM*** Reason: spelling
I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your baby. It is apparent you love him a lot and are mostly concerned with options that are in HIS best interests rather than yours, which is how it should be. That being said, if it were me I would try the phenobarbitol and see if it helps. As you said, he has led a long and happy life, and if there are severe side effects or it is not effective for him, you can consider whether it would be best for him to go to the Bridge.
As a Boston breeder, and lover, I would do everything possible to keep that dog well. You can consult with your vet on the correct dosage to keep him stable. Yes he may seize on the meds, but they will be a lot shorter, and less severe. When you find the right level of phenobarb, augmented by valium, he should be fine. Luckily phenobarb is an inexpensive drug, as is valium. Don't risk waiting for another seizure, but get him on the meds right away. A prolonged seizure can kill him, hence the reason to try to find the right level of med to keep him from seizing again, as seizure activity tends to progress as each one occurs. I wish you the best of luck in getting him on an even keel, and hope for a few more happy years for you, with him. I would not even consider having him pts, unless the seizures are uncontrollable, and I have not run across that yet.
Just so everyone knows he is on valium now , she took more blood work so she can get the right level and she rush the blood work so we can start the right dosage first thing tomorrow. I am going to try the meds and see how he does.