there are traps that will hold them with out harming them, but hey are not very effective from my experience.
the best most effective way is poison. no way around it. this is not something you can afford to be humane about. when ever you start to feel sorry for them, keep in mind that mice and rats can carry and spread deadly diseases. they helped to wipe out 1/3 of the people in Europe few hundreds years ago. they chew everything. i had to spend thousands of dollars rewiring my house because of mice chewing the wires in the walls. their urine and droppings stink up the whole house and is smeared on everything they touch. You should have no sympathy for those vermin. kill them anyway you can before they'll get a foot hold. those vile creatures can multiply in an alarming rate.
***Edited By: juno on 10/18/2006 4:10:27 PM*** Reason: .
Wal mart has the "humane" traps that are plastic see-through box types that don't kill the mice,it only traps them inside.....just remember to keep checking every day(several times if possible)for live mice/rats. Then you can just toss them in the woods or something.....no mess this way,no death,etc.
I do agree on a level about the answers you've gotten,but I understand not wanting to clean up mice from other traps or poison...yuck!!!!!
I see nothing cute about mice and rats. I say kill them all! I hate them nasty little things. We live in front of a huge pasture and I see those nasty little creatures(field mice) and I can't stand them. I say poison is the best way to go!
I feel obligated to remind you of the allure poison has on all domestic animals as well, so be safe and use it wisely. Shop dog? Shop cat? Owners who bring their animals in at any time, ever? If so, DO NOT do poison.
If not, poison's the way to go. If you do live traps take them far far away or else they'll run right back to the shop :)
I live in a very rural area on 52 acres of land. Every time the pastures get mowed, the field mice lose their home and think they would love mine. WRONG! I agree with having a good cat. A mature momma cat will be the best. We also installed ultrasonic devices in our outlets in each room and this help tremendously. You can get cheap ones, but we felt they didn't do the trick. We ended up spending about $25 each on the good ones and had good results. These devices are not harmful to pets but also help with insects. I found the good ones at Lowe's.
We have the same problem! We live in front of a huge pasture and the field mice are horrible. What kind of ultra sonic device do you have? Is there a certain brand? I have been looking for something that would get rid of the little suckers but I am having a horrible time. I currently am using poison since I do not have indoor pets. I am at the point to where I can't take them anymore! They horrify me!
I cannot remember offhand. I will look when I get home (at work now). I do know that they emit a signal that is harmful to mice/rodents/insects but does not affect household pets. We had an indoor cat and our pit was inside as well. We are now in our new house and have insulated, secured holes, etc. to the max so we haven't had a problem (yet?!?!) I will use the same ones though. They are pretty great!
Ours were pretty good, but I give credit to the good ole'fashion momma cat. She would catch a mouse (inside or out) and be sooooo proud. She would bring them onto the porch and wait for her praise. Seems like we all need a little pat on the back! LOL
Get a cat. Make sure there is no poison around and get a cat. The cat will probly kill a few but they will leave. We had a mouse problem at our house we got our cat and we had not seen a mouse sence.
When we moved We had mice climbing out of the siding, New house, It was a large field, there was alot of grass seed around, After 3 days of our cat being outside they were all gone.
the sticky traps will end up killing them, they will chew off there feet to get free, If you try to pull them off you will rip there legs off. the small boxes will catch them if yo uleave them alone long enough but if you don check tem alot you will find a dead mouse. Poison is bad, If a cat gets a mouse that was poisoned it can kill the cat, If you have ever seen a mouse that was poisoned you would probly cry. They start to act drunk and then shake and flop and it can last for hours. I know because my brother in law layed poison and cought some of the mice after they had eaten it.
I think cats are great. Cats killing mice is totaly natural and the cat will end up sacring off most of the mice.
EEEWWW! YUCK! They will actually chew off their feet to get free from a sticky trap? Disgusting! Well, my mother and them have cats, I will see if I can have a couple of hers! Hopefully that will get rid of the little creatures!
My husband has went through inside and underneath our home, and we have stopped up all of the holes. They still manage to get in somehow or another. I guess this is why I hate mice and rats. Thank goodness I have not seen rats, just those stupid field mice!
EEEWWW! YUCK! They will actually chew off their feet to get free from a sticky trap?
yah alot of animals will chew them selfs appart to free them self. Thing is once the mouse gets his frount feet free he will flop and his face will get stuck to the trap. On the box i think it says something about alive traps and that you can set them free but you cant.
My brother in law tryed one and ended up pulling its leg off trying tog et it unstuck. He felt so bad but didnt know what to do so he decited to drownd the mouse. Well after seeing bubbles he felt bad agin. After over a hour of trying to figure out what to do with it he ended up smashing it with a shovle.