We have a bulldog who is scheduled for a c-section on Wednesday. Around 3 am Thursday morning she started panting really hard. I called my vet and they said it isn't anything to worry about since her temp. hasn't dropped yet. At 7 pm when my husband came home, he noticed the same thing. We called a different vet and took her in for an exam. She told us that we should wait until Saturday and then maybe do the c-section. Here our problem. She has been like this since early Thursday morning and hasn't stopped panting. She can't sleep, she can't lay down, and she can hardly breathe. Is this normal behavior? She has had one litter before and we never had these problems. If she has them now, will it be too early? I can't stand to see her suffer like this! Thanks
i would be concerned. you still have five days to go before the c-section and it sounds like she is starting labor. they can come earlier than the expected due date. with bullies, you do not want them to become too distressed. it can cause difficulty with anesthesia.
and although most vets know the anesthesia protocal for brachycephalic breeds, there are some that do not. this is posted on my french bulldog forum, but it is the same for the english bullies and all other brachycephalic breeds.
NEVER GIVE FRENCHIES: Ace promazine Pentobarbital aka Pentathol (injectable anesthesia) Metofane (inhalant gas) Halothane (gas anesthesia)
USE WITH CAUTION: Dormitor (reversible anesthesia/sedative)
SATISFACTORY CHOICES FOR FRENCHIES: Ketamine (usually used in combo with valium as an injectable anesthesia/sedative) Valium (see above) Torbutrol (analgesia)
OPTIMUM CHOICES: Propofol (injectable) with either of the following 2 gas anesthetics as a maintenance: Isoflurane(aka IsoFlo) OR Sevoflurane (aka SevoFlo)
EXTRAS FOR C-SECTIONS: (This is in addition to the Optimum anesthetic protocol listed above) Atropine given at induction Place the mom-to-be on IV fluids Oxytocin injections (usually one after all the pups are out and she begins sewing up the uterus and the second about 20-30 minutes later) Antibiotic injection post-op
INTUBATION vs. MASKING/CONING DOWN: EVERY brachycephalic dog that goes under anesthesia should have an endotracheal tube (ET) placed in their trachea! Always! We need to protect that airway at all times.... The tube should be left in until they are VERY awake and about to chew it out... I use the intravenous propofol to induce anesthesia (which puts them under) this gives me a few minutes to place the ET tube... then I connect them to either the sevo or iso... so they are always tubed...
Be Careful when masking a frenchie down. Masking them down can sometimes be harder on brachycephalic dogs because they struggle to hold their breath (so they don't inhale the strange smelling gas) which can irritate the airways and deplete their oxygen levels (which you do not want before surgery). It is my opinion that using injectable and then tubing them gives them an optimum oxygen supply which is ideal for frenchies.
Thanks for your help. I was up at 7:30 this morning to take her in to a different vet and I found her dead. Apparently the vets here know more about your dog than you do. I called 3 different ones. They all said she would be fine. Guess not
***Edited By: lovebugs030201 on 12/22/2006 10:19:32 AM*** Reason: add
I had a similar situation few months ago. I had a golden that started to pant and behave as if she was in labor. after 3 days of doing that, i was concerned that if labor actually started 3 days earlier with no pups coming out, then they probably all dead and teh mom could be in danger. took her to a vet so he can tell me if she went in to labor or if the pups are still alive and i should wait. she felt that even though it was a little early and she doesn't think the dog was in actual labor, this behavior was not normal for that long and could indicate a problem She urged me to do a c-section to save the dog's life. I did that fully expecting not to have any live pups, but i did not want t risk loosing my dog too by waiting too long. fortunately all 11 of them came out alive, normal size and fully developed. the mom was fine too.
that is the problem with trusting vets. they do not always know what they are talking about.
Thanks for all your thoughtfulness. I told our vet yesterday morning that we didn't want to risk losing everybody and wanted to do the c-section. I could live with myself better if only a puppy died. Sassy was like our baby. They said we didn't need to come in unless her temp. dropped. Then they told us a horror story about another bulldog 2 months ago whose owner insisted that her dog was ready. When they did it, they were all dead. That kind of scared us away from doing it. We have 2 other bulldogs(one we kept from her first litter). The are kind of dumpy right now. The one we kept from the first litter has never been away from her mom. She was always there to protect her. I think I am done with breeding. No matter how much you know, you can never prepare yourself for this. We thought we were going to have puppies on Christmas, now all we get are her cremated ashes. My daughter is 3 and she thinks that we are going to pick up Sassy at the vet later with the puppies just like before. I don't know what to tell her.
I am so sorry for your loss. I started to read your OP, and then seen on your second post of what had happened and it completely shocked me. I really feel for you and your family. Good luck with your daughter, I wish I had some advice for you.
My friend breeds bullies and they go by hormone levals-they take them in to get checked daily when the time is near. Her pant like crazy for the last couple of days but nothing insane.
A lot of vets are not good with bully breeding. their first time their vet was sure they could deliver naturally adn they lost the whole litter and almost the mom. they looked a long time to find their current vet.
***Edited By: joce on 12/22/2006 3:11:36 PM*** Reason: r
OMG i am so sorry that is so sad :( I don't know what i would do if i lost my baby Raven to that. i would feel so bad. now i am starting to worry about breeding her. Juno do you really breed all those dogs and do you really have 27 pups or were you being sarcastic?
I don't have 27 pups, not any more anyway. I am now down to 5. :)
But that is a discussion for a different topic, not this one.
I never lost a mother in the last 16 years, but i did came close on few occasions. Whether it was luck or experience, had i not recognized the warning signs in time it could have easily gone the other way.
Breeding is not for every one. there is a very real risk that you could lose the pups, mom or both, especially with breeds that cant whelp naturally. need to take that risk in to consideration when you breed. Murphy's law can rear it ugly head when you least expect it.
One of the main problems when trying to figure out if it is time or if it is too early is that you don't always know the exact day of conception. if the dog was bred for several times over a week period, you don't know if conception occurred on the first day or the last. that is when you get in trouble you and your vet have to guess when is the right time intervene. if you guess wrong, the pups could be delivered premature. If you wait too long, the mom could die if she cant deliver naturally. Temperature drop is usually a sign that labor will start soon, but unfortunately it is not an exact science. I had dogs deliver pup a couple of hours after the temp dropped, and some delivered with normal temperature. You never know.
This is addressed to juno - are you serious about having 27 puppies at one time? How can you do justice to raising that many dogs? It sounds freakishly close to a puppy mill to me.
There is no way humanly possible that you can give each puppy the quality time that it needs, desires and deserves. Puppies are a lot of work, dogs in general are a lot of work. But with puppies you need to handle them daily, cleaning up after them, socializing them, taking them to the vets.
How in God's name can you take 27 puppies to the vets at once? Your vet bill must be outrageous, with all the office calls, the individual examinations for each puppy, the wormings, immunizations and so on.
I know up here it is $45 for an office call, plus the examination, plus anything else they do to the dog. Or are you one of those that gives the shots yourself and call it a day?
Just curious. I raised Labs for a long time, have some outstanding show stock and hunting stock around the US that trace back to my lines. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, would I attempt to breed 3 or 4 bitches at one time as there is no way I could possibly provide the quality care that each puppy deserves with over 2 dozen pups on the ground at once.
How can you scrutinize the mass amount of people that must call about your dogs? Do you sell to anyone?
I checked backgrounds, vet checks, did home checks and followed up on my puppies. I am still in contact with many of their families to this day.
I did not sell to everyone that called or inquired about my dogs. You cannot truthfully tell me that you have checked into the backgrounds and the home quality for each puppy.
Most of my puppies were sold by either recommendations from veteraniarians, from hunters and previous owners of my dogs. I, to this day, get calls from people that have either seen or owned my dogs wanting to know if I still raise them.
Excuse me while I go pound my head against the wall and cry about all the puppies that are mass produced in this world. :(
lovebugs030201-- I am terribly sorry for your loss, particularly around the holidays. Did the vet give any possible reasons why your girl died? I haven't lost a mother in over 10 years of breeding. There must have been a reason. Did one of the puppies die inside her? Was she in labor too long? Anurism (sp), pre-eclampsia (sp)? I would really NEED to know for closure.
***Edited By: alicat1 on 12/24/2006 8:59:48 AM*** Reason: ed