I have a 2 yr old Cardigan Welsh Corgi and she ate a mushroom from our backyard yesterday afternoon between 2 & 3pm. She started to get sick around 2am this morning and her face is all swollen and shes very irritable. I had to go to the drug store and get some Benadryl. I called Poision Control and said as along as she isn't breathing hard it was too late to make her vomit. After giving her the Benadryl, she vomited 3 times in the house and ahd 2 bowel movements outside which were normal. I don't know what kind or type of mushroom it was, becasue she ate the whole thing. Is there anybody out there that may know wht kind/type i would appreciate any input.
I did go searching around and from the sound of it, your dog ate a kind of mushroom called "amanita phalloides". Theyr'e very poisonous, and the most commonly seen poisonous mushroom, especially in the eastern US.
The type is either the Haymaker or Mica Cap which are both common lawn mushrooms. The vet didn't do a blood draw and my sister-in-law is watching our dog. The articles i found did say the Haymaker is posionous but not sure about the Mica Cap.
both the mica cap and haymaker mushrooms are considered somewhat edible as mushrooms go. Judging from the reaction your dog has had, I doubt the mushroom it ate was either a haymaker or a mica cap, and was instead a truly poisonous one.
I went back to look up the Mica Cap, its not poisonous , but the Haymaker contains small amounts of the hallucinogenic "psilocybin" chemical. By the way where are you located, city/state, just curious ?
Sorry, but why is your dog not at the vet & why was no blood drawn???? Drawing blood is common since in this situation. This smells fishy to me. You sad YOU got up to get the over the counter medication during the night but now you are saying the dog stays with your sister in law? Please help clear this up......
Well both my wife and i had to work today after we both had extended long Memorial Holiday. My oldest sons car is broke down and my wife had to drive him to work. My sister-in-law had some surgery 2 weeks ago and shes off 4-6 weeks. My other son also had to work today, she was the only one who could watch her.
Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to identify what mushroom your dog ate. Without a proper specimen, picture, ideally a spore print of said mushroom. It will be next to impossible to identify it. There are so many lookalikes in the mushroom world. You are in an area that does indeed have psilocybin containing mushrooms. If in fact it ate one of these, your dog would not be very likely to be throwing up and the like by ingesting one.
There are mushrooms which will cause immediate sickness in your area but venturing a guess would be going against rules I have concerning this topic. I would go out on a limb far enough to say that I doubt that your dog will have long lasting effects from a bad mushroom. However it is possible. My suggestion would be to just get the vet to monitor your dog. Most lawn type mushrooms will not immediately harm your dog. That's the best I can do for you. If you could perhaps get a detailed picture emailed to me of top, and also the gill area I could perhaps Identify it for you but won't try with out a picture. Your dog should be fine in my opinion. As always your vet knows best.
I did notice i have a few growing in my front lawn near the side walk and near the grsyy part near the street. I hope to identify it when i get home. I will be glad to let everyone know what kind/type it is. I am getting ready to leave fo today.
Minniyar, I am just curious, why do you think it is this type of mushroom since she said the dog had two bowel movements that were normal. The website indicated that the movements would be very watery? I am not saying you are wrong because I am no expert on mushrooms just wondering.
because in the info link that I gave, after the initial onset of vomitting and diarrhea, the dog wuld appear to return back to normal for a few days, but there could still be hidden severe liver damage that should be tested for. Ingesting that particular mushroom initially gives the symptoms he described, and it's a commonly seen poisonous mushroom.
I don't know for sure but if I saw my dog chowing down on a mushroom before I could get out to stop him, and he started in with diarrhea and vomitting, I'd think it was that type of mushroom because it's common and I live in an eastern state.
***Edited By: Minniyar on 6/1/2005 8:36:06 PM*** Reason: add
Minniyar is right...the Amanita family of shrooms is super deadly!!!! Thankfully there are far more harmless ones than deadly ones.
I collect edible mushrooms seasonally here in Minnesota. My first lesson was ID'ing the Amanitas, which we have few..but they are present. Some are so beautiful..especially the Fly Agaric one...think Alice in Wonderland and google the mushroom name.
The vast majority of mushrooms found on lawns are nontoxic. Or only mildly toxic(think tummy ache, not kidney/liver failure). However, that doesn't mean that very posionous never grow on lawns.
Sure by now you realize there are 100's of LBM's... Little Brown Mushrooms..consult any field guide and confusion sets in quickly. When it doubt, throw it out or go fast to the Vet/MD
What is rude is considering someone guilty until proven innocent when it comes to trolls. So some things don't make sense to you, the vet didn't do this and the owner did this or that. It's quite possible that the vet made a mistake, it happens; it's also quite possible that the vet had a reason not to take blood. It's possible one of the owners children saw the dog eat the mushroom, or that he/she saw the mushroom on the ground, didn't think much of it at the time, noticed his dog was sick, and noticed the mushroom was gone. Sometimes you can put two and two together... The only thing we really know is that we don't have the full story.
A person comes on here looking for help and probably is worried sick. If you have suspicions, hold them. As I said, if the poster is a troll, we'll know for certain soon enough. In the mean time, be kind, and remember how you feel when your pets are sick.
Of course, I'm not adding anything useful for the poster, and for that I apologize. I know nothing of mushrooms, but I wish you and yours well.
***Edited By: bluetripiniguana on 6/2/2005 1:13:39 AM*** Reason: punctuation
another scout on the board .....welcome. sorry i am not a shroom expert ;) do not even like the taste of them myself. sister grilled a prtabello the other day at the BBQ we had. tried it........YUCK !!!! LOL. CANT IMAGINE WHY A DOG WOULD EAT IT BUT THEN AGAIN THEY EAT POOOP DONT THEY ? welcome to the forum. post some pics of your dogg. hopw he is okay now =)