Depends on the specific dog (breed even plays a factor), and my vet's recommendations. She's very conservative, but will let you know if she thinks it's safe to bypass the testing...I trust her. Once I looked at all of that info, I'd make the decision from there. Didn't have it before my cockapoo's neuter...thank God all turned out well.
I'm split here. Yes-I lost a cairn terrier to not testing when his dewclaw was removed. No-I have had 2 serious issues here that emergency care was needed and we had to deal with them fast, so we didn't and everything was fine, but would have preferred the testing. So in short yes to elective, no to emergency if time is crucial.
***Edited By: myshadow on 6/15/2005 5:07:45 PM*** Reason: add
My Boxer pup will be going in soon to be desexed and my boyfriend and I are definitely going to get the testing done first. We have never had it done with any of our other dogs but we never really knew much about it until I got on this site.
I'm going to ring up now and ask the vet some questions!