Kodi is perky again today and eating again; no throwing up or diahrrea so this morning. They said the effects of the oxyglobin can last 24-72 hours; hopefully that gives her some time to start building protein and red blood cells; I haven't even asked about the white cells they were sooooo low last week.....I don't even want to know. Her cold seems to be a little better today.
thanks to everyone who have been so supportive through all of this; even though we don't even know each others names I consider you friends......anyone who loves their animals and cares for others I know I would be friends with. I hope she is on her way finally to recovery and can come home real soon.
I wish I could tell you we have had a happy successful end result. However, my vet called a few minutes ago and it is over for Kodi. She was doing well and they thought she would be able to come home tomorrow. We had gone out of town for the weekend and had not heard anything contrary from the vet so I assumed no news...good news. The vet called around 6:30 to say it didn't look good. When the kennel person came in at 9 this morning she was doing fine; when the vet came in at 3:30 she was unresponsive and they went to start another transfusion when Kodi stopped breathing and her heart stopped. I got to the vet's office 15 minutes after she called. Kodi's eyes were dilated and she was unreponsive; they had an oxygen tube down her throat and was finishing the transfusion.....they gave her dextrose in case her blood sugars had dropped. When I left they put her in an oxygen cage but she was struggling to breathe. I don't know if they put her down or she died on her own.....I just told the vet not to resusciate again if she coded again.....I felt I had to fight as long as Kodi was fighting but she was telling me she needed to go..........so I have to let her go.......I just don't know why she was doing so so well and then it ended.......I got the pictures back Friday that I had taken the day I got her which was exactly 2 weeks ago today.......what an adorable face...........thanks to everyone who has prayed for this little girl......I know a lot of people think that is a lot of money to put out for a sick dog but I would do it again.......I just wish I could tell you guys it had a happy ending.....I hope all of you out there who are going through the same thing do have happy endings.......give your puppies an extra pat on the head for me..............good luck to all of you and may God bless you. lanerface
I'm so sorry for you lose. I would have done the same thing as long as she was fighting I would have fought with her. Thats the thing with parvo they can be doing great and you think all is well then just like that they will crash. It is very sad and I feel terrible for you. Just remember you did all you could do.
Lanerface I am so sorry to hear about your puppy. I was praying that we would hear a happy ending for you. We decided that the best thing for us and our children was to get a new puppy and we did. It was hard on me and I felt guilty about it at first, it seemed like I immediatley went out and replaced Sam (Samuel) But I am glad that we did not wait. It has proven to be the best medicine for all of us and Sam (Samantha) is just what a puppy should be, playful, friendly and chewing on everything and my kids are so excited about her. They have not left her alone. We do have a picture of Sam1 out and we will not forget him. Take care and I hope that you are okay and maybe someday you will be able to look back and remember your puppy before she was sick. Take Care
You people are the best! I got Kodi because my other Eskie died of cancer. I only knew her 2 weeks but I fell in love with her so quick and it has been very hard losing her....you say.......you only knew her weeks......but she was so so sweet and loved to cuddle and be petted and talked to.....when she would hear my voice coming down the hall at the vet she would talk and even the days she wasn't feeling well she would make it to the front of the cage for me.........she was so tiny and so young and should be at my house today......but hopefully she is sitting at the feet of Jesus with my other pets. I truly believe that there is a special place for pets because they are so capable of giving love without expecting any in return. The two dogs that were there for her transfusion must have felt my sorrow because they did not know me but came to sit by my side while I was with Kodi. It is hard to believe that something that can't verbalize can be so comforting.
I am so sorry for all of you that have lost babies due to parvo. Think it is hard for you? Think how much harder it must be for a breeder who got infected by parvo and is loosing bunches... Some kennels/breeders are known for reoccuring kennel cough, parvo etc. and should be avoided if they have a rep for it. Others get it brought in by buyers who already lost a pup to parvo and are now looking for a replacement... If you have recently lost a baby due to parvo - do not go visiting breeders at their places!!!!!!!!!! You are putting them and their babies [and more future pet owners] at risk! Talk to your vet - but the overall recommendation is to wait a minimum of 6 months, and wash, bleach, discard stuff you can't wash and bleach! Don't go looking, don't at breeders, pet stores etc. Don't go pet pups at pet smart, at parks, at the vets etc. If you don't think you can live that long w/o a dog in your life, get an older pup 5-6 months + or give a retired adult breeder a home. When your self restricted quarantaine is over, ask your breeder to hold the pup for you until it is old enough for a second booster shot at 9 wks, and don't bring anything home where you don't have proof that the pup actually had shots. For the lady with the St. B's - once they survive it, they are basically immune to it, but you need to let your buyers know, in case they have other pets or don't end up buying after visiting with you... Also if you have more pups on the way, make sure you inoculate early at 5 wks with a high titer straight parvo shot, and then at 6 wks with your first combination shot. Make sure your adults are u-t-d on all shots too - give your female a booster before you breed her. Good luck to all - and hang in there!
i was so hoping when i saw the thread at the top it was cause you had good news. i certainly can feel your pain because i have felt it myself. i am so very sorry she didn't make it. you gave her every oppurtunity to pull through and you should feel good you were able to give her the chance. please accept my sympathies.
shaded silver that is the best advice and so true; I have read that many times people have gone looking here and there for a puppy and brought the virus from one place on their shoes to another. I also read that many breeders will ask you to take off your shoes before entering their home or whatever place they have their babies which I think is so admirable and responsible. I have new puppy stuff (I had bought for the "puppy" nursery) that I feel I can't return or give away because I can't guarantee that it might not have had contact with the floor etc before we found out. I had put a collar on her for just a few hours.....I had opened a bag of puppy food and a package of nylabones; I have the free bag of puppy food that the vet gave us the day we brought Kodi in for her check up that hasn't been opened. I will return the puppy treat biscuits that were sat on the counter and the one bowl that was never used or put on the floor. When the puppy behind me has had all of its shots and is a little older I will see if they want the bag that hasn't been opened. I would truly love to get another puppy but my heart can't stand the thought of being broken again so soon and I can't replace carpets right now to insure that there are no parvo germs from our shoes. Kodi was only here 24 hours and only on the tile or on a towel on my bed.....I bleached the couple of spots on the grass but I would not want to chance having the virus on my carpet with a new little one. I wish more breeders were responsible with the care and caution to protect these little guys. They have a few short weeks of life then their little lives are just gone. I guess the only thing we can do is to help educate more people; I was not aware of how contagious, etc this virus was until I was affected by it. I just knew there were things you gets their shots for and I always take my pets to the vet the first day I get them or like with Kodi I got her on Sunday and took her Monday. It was just too late.
Hello everyone - I've just found this board in my research on Parvo, as right now I am looking at my little baby Buddy, asleep in his bed, just home from the vets. Guess I'm hoping for advice and encouragement. We adopted him 4 days ago, he's a rescue. A bull terrier mix, round 8 weeks old, and he picked us out. By Monday night he was sick, and a vet's trip on Tuesday said "Parvo". He got a little sick, but not much - apparently his first and only Parvo vaccination was enough to help him fight it, though not enough to prevent it. I just picked him up a few hours ago. He's incredibly listless, no energy, and I can see his rib cage - the fat little puppy tummy is gone. He's been treated well at the vet, but now he's still retching a bit and refuses the soft food the vet gave me. I have several meds from the vet as well. As he kept down food last night and through most of today, I'm guessing that now he doesn't want to eat as his tummy is churning. I have Parvaid but don't want to give it unless the vet OKs, and they are closed. What can I do (if anything) to reduce his discomfort and nausea (and the vet dosed him with anti-nausea meds a few hours ago) and hopefully get him to absorb and not loose his water and food? I'm sure that some of his listlessness and non-energy is due to the fact that he's lost so much weight and nutrients. If he could just keep a bit down... I think he feels worse now than he did earlier. We've all experienced how nausea just takes it out of you. I just want my little Buddy well and happy again, and I'm scared. I'm encouraged that the vet released him, and I understand this will be a struggle, but I'd like to stack the odds in his favour. He stole our hearts. Thanks in advance!
Jax I don't know how sick Buddy has been but if you have read any of my posts you know how many ups and downs we had with little Kodi and she didn't make it. They thought she would have gone home this past Monday which would have been 2 weeks after beginning treatment for parvo but on Sunday she died and they don't know why she went from okay to death. They even gave her another transfusion before she died. The not wanting to eat is not good; I would call my vet now; most have answering services and call you back or they have a doctor on call. They can get very sick very quickly. I really do not want to alarm you but I am speaking from very recent experience. At 9 am on Sunday she was fine; at 3:30 pm that same day she was unresponsive and then her heart and breathing stopped; they resuscitated her, transfused, etc but it wasn't enough. She weighed less than 2 pounds so she was tiny but if your instinct is telling you stuff, act on. If your vet has been involved in the treatment then he should not mind calling you back. I still can't believer Kodi died; she had 4 days of acting like a puppy and eating a little and then............I do hope that your little one is going to be fine, I truly do.....I pull hard for all those little ones fighting so hard; we have a high vet bill but I would do the same over again if I had to; my little one fought and I had to fight with her. Best of luck to you.
I'm so sorry you lost your baby. Buddy didn't get that sick; that first vaccination took hold in time to help him fight it. He's actually doing so much better today - we are over the hump, and hopefully for good. He still wouldn't eat the prescription food, so I boiled hamburger & rice, and he gobbled it up like a piglet! Cranked his appetite back into gear, and made a world of difference. He is now sniffing the carpet looking for crumbs and staring intently at us every time we eat (I'm only feeding him every 2 hours; don't want to upset the stomach again). Hopefully we'll be able to get him back on the prescription food ASAP. But for now, he's perkier and curious, sleeping much less. Vet also had us put him back on Centrine (anti-diarreal) which also calmed his tummy down - no more heaves. He has kept down all his food and water. We also added Pedialyte to his water and I think that helped as well. Told the vet this, and he said it was OK to give him undiluted Pedialyte.